Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Evolution Should Not Be Taught In Public Schools

Written by: Jacob Page 
 


According to Dictionary.com, the definition of the word Religion is, “a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs”, there for the Theory of Evolution is technically a religion which is illegal to be taught at a public school. Although that one fact should be enough reason to ban evolution from public schools there is more. The first thing is the fact that there are a growing number of students who don’t believe in the theory. Without a forced influence by the school, a student has more freedom to believe in what in what they truly believe in. 


Personally this affects me because I am going to be a pastor. I don’t want my kids to be forced to learn about evolution as I was. Since I did not believe in the theory I had to act as if I did believe in it, which according to my religion is sin. This is, in terms of my religion is forcing religious people to sin. Also since I did not believe in the theory I failed the class twice due to lack of interest and anger that I was being forced to learn something I did not believe to be true. You need to remember as well the fact that money does not grow on trees, not everyone can afford private school. Also when kids are young they are easily mislead, and they love to rebel. I don’t want my child to be accidently mislead into evolution causing him to lose faith. We’ve all been kids at one point in time and we’ve all rebelled against our parents, the last thing I want is for my kids to take me teaching them religion in the wrong way.


Not only does this affect me directly but it affects ones I care about, such as my pastor. My pastor used to be a councilor at a MPS school helping many families for years, until one teacher decided to sue him for inviting kids to his church. The lawsuit resulted in the loss of his job leaving him to rely on his church alone to supply two kids and a wife. The fact that he can be sued and fired for only inviting someone to his church, while science teachers are getting the opposite, paid is absolutely asinine. This country is supposed to be land of the free. That includes freedom of speech, and freedom of religion. Having a required class based on a theory is not either of those things. It would be one thing if there were also required Christianity class. Or just a class called religions that focused on all religions. Regardless of religion anyone should be able to see the law and rights that are being infringed in school.




Work Cited:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion
http://archive.adl.org/religion_ps_2004/evolution.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment